Tuesday, April 27, 2010

arizona

After staying two days in Albuquerque, we spent that Saturday driving and driving and driving some more. The highlight of that day was definitely the fabulous local grocery store that had lots of authentic Mexican foods - sweet breads, huge piles of peppers - and happy Mexican music pulsing through the store. Other than that we attempted to visit a place called Acoma Pueblo, which basically an ancient city perched a top a giant rock - but would have cost something like $50, so we decided to skip it. We also passed on the kitschy wigwam hotels we later passed on Route 66 when we were looking for a place to stay that night. Although it was tempting, they looked a bit run down and also a little spendy. Instead we stayed at “OK” RV campground in Holbrook, AZ. As we have found in several of the smaller towns we’ve visited and stayed in, the people are very eager to send us lots of places and pile us up with brochures, and this campground manager was no exception. Not only did he give us loads of reading materials, we also received a very large poster of a Native American girl feeding a goat!



As we headed out Sunday morning with our armload of pamphlets, we went straight to the Petrified Forest National Park. There we saw the beautiful reds and browns of the “Painted Desert“, the cone shaped structures of the “Teepees” with beautiful layers of blues and purples, and of course all of the petrified wood you could ever want to see in your life. As I was taking pictures of the “Teepees,” I turned to notice that Guy was missing, and saw him rapidly climbing one of the structures. For someone who got so nervous about me pretending to jump from “Lover’s Leap” back in Missouri, I was a bit surprised to see him attempting this somewhat nerve-wracking (and I think against the rules) feat. When we safely returned, I asked him what that was all about, and he said, “you told me climbing one of these would prove my love to you.” Oops, I guess I had jokingly said a passing comment about that, but didn’t think he had even heard me, let alone think I was serious and do it!  Can you find him in this photo?


As the afternoon passed we learned how much of the petrified wood is stolen from this lovely place equal to one ton per month! Apparently so many people feel guilty about doing it, though, that they end up sending the stolen wood back, with letter of apology attached. All of the beautiful quartz and crystals that were embedded in these pieces of wood are long gone, though, so I was a bit saddened when we got to the “Crystal Trail” and the “Rainbow Forest” (which I imagined as this beautiful glittering and magical place glimmering with jewels, and found nothing of the sort!).


After stopping at one of the cheesy local stores "Geronimo,"selling the most hilarious souvenirs, we decided to stay at the Kaibab National Forest just south of the Grand Canyon, where we would spend the following day. It would be our first dispersed camping experience, with no showers, bathrooms, lights, or people anywhere in our vicinity. I boldly announced how excited I was to do this, and we even played some catch before sunset in our private little utopia. While playing cards, Guy turned out the lights, to show me how pitch black it would be that night, and believe me, it was dark! When nature inevitably decided to call, I swung the door wide open, only to hear what sounded like a large animal just feet away from me! Only after lots of noise was made, headlights turned on, and all flashlights, headlights, and lanterns were in use, did I venture one foot out of the van to take care of business. Oh, I am embarrassingly such a city girl.  Although there is so much more to this bathroom story, I will refrain from telling it to you, although I'm sure Guy will divulge the full details on his blog.


Well, somehow I survived the depths of the untamed wild, and we headed to the Grandest of Canyons the following morning. There is no way to describe the beauty of the Grand Canyon, and so I will not even try it. My feeble attempts of capturing it on film are exactly that - feeble. But it far exceeded my expectations, and I savored every minute we spent there. It is by far my favorite experience I have had thus far on our journey.


After much, um, “discussion” that night we ended up pulling into a Walmart in Peyson, AZ, to get some rest. Under the right circumstances I can see how sleeping in a Walmart parking lot could provide an adequate and free place to stay, but this was not the case for me. Because I was rattled and the parking lot was noisy, bright and full of activity (not to mention exhaust fumes) I got about an hour of sleep that night! After a rocky morning start, we headed to Guy’s sister Margaret and her boyfriend Tom’s house in Tucson for what turned out to be a great day. Not only did they provide a much-needed shower, but lots of laughter and good company. They have three darling rescue dogs, a coop full of chickens, and Tom made us a delicious stir fry dinner followed by the most decadent chocolate brownies I’ve ever tasted!


Wednesday morning we headed down the road about fifteen miles to where my Uncle Jim and Aunt Mary live, also in Tucson. After we spent some time chatting, we took a fantastic hike by their house, where we got to see all types of cactus and local flowers and plants. We returned for an outstanding dinner made by Mary and got to hear all sorts of great stories from Jim and Mary about how they met and the many travels and experiences they’ve had. Thursday morning Jim took his turn in the kitchen and whipped up a great breakfast and generously gave us passes to the Desert Museum just down the road. I absolutely loved it there. It was full of beautiful landscaping, animals, snakes, reptiles and birds, and had historical, geological, and ecological elements to it as well. We spent several hours there, and my favorite part had to be the hummingbird exhibit, where I got to take some close up photos of hummingbirds, as well as see tiny little hummingbird nests! That evening Mary made another great meal and we got to hear some more adventure stories. If anyone could write a book about their collective stories, these two would be the perfect candidates!


Friday morning we headed back to Margaret and Tom’s and spent the afternoon at Sabino Canyon. Unlike the Grand Canyon, where we looked down over the land, here we took a shuttle bus winding through the canyon grounds. The scenery was beautiful and a great way to spend the day. After another delicious dinner we had fun hanging out playing games. Margaret and Tom caught wind my birthday was coming up and were very generous…they gave me a large iron skillet for campground cooking and two portable showers! I’m very excited to try both items out. Margaret also made me a dream-catcher fashioned from her chicken’s feathers that I promptly hung in our van. It was very thoughtful and I love it (especially because I love the chickens so much!).


After being fed chocolate chip pancakes (yum!) Saturday morning, we headed towards Phoenix, where my other uncle Jim (my dad's brother) lives in Tempe with his wife Vicki. I was ecstatic that my sister was able to fly down for the weekend to be with us there. It was great to meet my cousins Fawn and Landon, whom I had never met before. After visiting by the pool at their beautiful home, Amy, Guy and I headed out to get some pub food and walk around town. We ended up walking by the “fake lake” as we called it and then went to meet back up with the fam where they treated us to an incredible Mexican dinner at Los Sombreros. After dinner we drove up to New River to meet up with our friends Brad and Graham (who had also flown in for the weekend, like my sister) for the evening.


Sunday Guy headed out for a testosterone filled-day of playing in the dessert with the boys, while I spent time hanging out with my family. My sister and I later hooked up with her friend Shawn at Chuy’s, and then it was already time for her to leave…time goes by so quickly! We joined Brad and Graham for some dinner before crashing into bed. Monday morning we headed out for a two hour drive to the city of Sedona, where we spent the day. We drove around to see the beautiful red rocks, a unique church built right into the rocks, and hiked a trail in the blistering heat of the day (due to my bad planning).  We had intended to take an "easy" route, but accidentally veered onto a "moderate" trail which really should have been "difficult!"  There was one one point I felt as though I was going to pass out, but so glad we went on the hike despite that fact.  We walked past the cute shops and restaurants (albeit expensive), had lunch and just took in the beautiful sights of the town.


It was sad leaving Arizona this morning - but we have been able to spend time with a lot of wonderful family members.  Thanks to all the Arizona people for your wonderful hospitality, generosity and wonderful meals! 

I am ecstatic to get to currently be in state I have been longing to get to most on this trip...California.  More to come.  :)

1 comment:

  1. i love the up-close hummingbird pic!
    so fun to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete