Saturday, July 3, 2010

georgia

The night before we got to Savannah was spent at a campsite just outside of Montgomery. Here were introduced to the beautiful spanish moss that drapes over many of the trees in the southern region, creating a weeping willow effect. We were also introduced to cicadas, the loudest bugs I have ever encountered in my life, kind of like crickets on steroids. I knew we were in for a long night when the camp manager looked at us like we were crazy and said “good luck” for choosing to sleep in a tent in the extreme heat and humidity (most of the people were in RVs). So, as Guy slumbered peacefully through the night, I felt like a crazy person sweating profusely and listening to what sounded like a jungle while getting virtually no sleep…again!



But the next day more than made up for it as we checked into a hotel with air conditioning, and more importantly, walked through the Historic District of Savannah. A popular destination for vacationers, Savannah certainly has no shortage of history, incredible architecture, or charm. When the city was first designed, it followed a grid pattern including 22 “squares” or essentially, oak-shaded parks, that provide a restful spot to enjoy one’s lunch or just lounge. We utilized one early on in our exploration by bringing our lunch we purchased from a popular South African eatery called Zunzis. While walking around the city, we visited several squares, saw a multitude of beautiful old mansions, as well as gorgeous churches, cobblestone streets and horse-drawn carriages. We also visited the eerie 18th century Colonial Park Cemetery, and beautiful Forsyth Park. Along the Savannah River we peaked in the antique shops and boutiques on River Street. After walking clear across town (a few times), over several hours, we decided to call it a day!





The following day was a bit approached a bit more leisurely, starting with lunch at the renowned "Mrs. Wilkes." In the 1940’s Sema Wilkes obtained ownership of a Savannah boardinghouse to provide lodging and delicious southern cooking to guests. Today, it functions only as a restaurant, open soley for lunch, during the hours between 11-2. When we arrived at 1:00, the line was stretching down the block, and I was concerned that we would even be able to get in by 2:00! Although it was slightly past 2:00 as we inched towards the door, we were allowed in (lest I leave bawling my eyes out). This was the one place in Savannah I really wanted to go to (imagine that, its food related!), and I couldn’t wait to see if it really was worth all the fuss. Several famous people have dined at Mrs. Wilkes, including President Obama - just a few months ago! The eatery is set up with several large tables that seat 10, so most frequently (unless you have a large party) you eat with complete strangers. The food is served family-style, and you are required to clear your dishes once finished.  When we sat down, I counted 20 different foods on the table. Twenty. It was like a soul food Thanksgiving: fried chicken, meatloaf, BBQ pork, cornbread, greens, beans, mac & cheese, black-eyed peas, okra, rice, yams, potatoes & gravy, creamed corn, and more! If a bowl ran out, it was replaced with more food. There were endless pitchers of sweet tea, and for dessert, a choice of peach cobbler or banana pudding. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. More than worth the hour+ wait in the scorching sun. I announced to Guy as we left the restaurant that this would have to be my LAST “southern” meal, since I had clearly been going off the deep end with the food here. For a “last supper,” we couldn’t have picked a better establishment.



Did we do anything else that day? Does it really even matter? I’m still fantasizing about the food! I do remember that we played mini-golf, went to a couple antique stores, and didn’t eat dinner that night. :)

Our final day in Georgia was spent at the small city (and island) of Tybee Island, very close in proximity to Savannah. The first part of the day was spent at Fort Pulaski. The Fort honestly wasn’t something I was highly anticipating visiting, but proved to be quite interesting. I learned that the Fort played a significant role in the Civil War.  The Confederates surrendered to the Union army when bombarded by the new rifled canons, taking down the high brick walls, and essentially changing how battles were fought. The loss of this Confederate port for shipping purposes damaged the Southern war efforts. The Fort also acted as a prisoner of war camp, as well as a final destination on the Underground Railroad. We were able to listen in on a tour of the Fort, as well as watch a rifled musket demonstration.



From there, we headed to the beach at Tybee Island. Since leaving California, I was longing to go to a beach again, and now I would have my chance in the Atlantic. Now late June, the ocean water was quite warm, and lying on the beach was downright hot! Since I have spent so many hours outside over the last three months, I thought I didn’t really need to worry about applying sunscreen. I was wrong. After several hours in the sun, Guy commented that I was looking a bit red. Later that evening, I realized I was as red as a lobster. The time at the beach was fun, but the sunburn I obtained turned out to be a disaster.

Savannah was a beautiful city with loads of character, lots of fun.

1 comment:

  1. We went to Tybee Island too! Did you see any baby crocks there too?

    ReplyDelete